Sunday, January 29, 2012

Can I put a supercharged 3800 engine in my 98 Buick Regal LS?

I recently blew the engine in my 1998 Buick Regal LS, and have been wanting a GSX for some time. But would it be possible to buy a gsx supercharged engine of the same year out of another buick regal, and put it in my car with out a bunch of conversions? Thanks for your help!Can I put a supercharged 3800 engine in my 98 Buick Regal LS?I had a 1999LS, it was an awesome car. The 3800 is used in a bunch of models and GM reduced the number of unique parts as much as possible to make them cheaper to produce. This includes the hood and engine bay, which is identical between the two models. On paper, yes, you can do this, but what I'm not certain about is the computer and transmission.



Some modders with GM cars of that era have had problems because the transmissions were nderspecced for the more powerful engine. I don't know if the tranny is the same for those two models, but it is worth asking.



So, check the transmission and ECU compatibility and expect to spend a lot. There are few bargains for 3800s out there, especially supercharged ones. Remember that thing I said about GM using it in multiple bodies? That also means you're competing with a bunch of other performance guys who want it for THEIR blown up racers, so good luck.Can I put a supercharged 3800 engine in my 98 Buick Regal LS?would also have to change the transmission with the engine will have different gear ratio between supercharged and non s/c transmissions

2 comments:

  1. I heard that the 3800 series 1 engine has really enormous fuel mileage, how does it compare with the 3800 series 2 engine with this and in other aspect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superchargers work on the same basic principle where they increase the amount of air entering the motor from the intake manifold. In a supercharging process, the crankshaft has to turn belt which runs the charger.
    3800 performance parts

    ReplyDelete